Wednesday, April 16, 2008

dear sally,

Despite my somewhat busy lifestyle, I have recently taken to spending my time watching old TV shows on DVD. Since Christmas I am on my third series- Felicity. I watched seasons 1 & 2 many years ago, and have never seen 3 & 4. Thanks to the wonders of generous friends and Blockbuster online, I am taking this series on yet again.

Felicity follows the 4 year college career of a CA woman who follows a boy to college in NYC, and documents her life learning in the classroom, in the dorm, and with boys. Each episode opens with her recording a "letter" on a cassette tape and mailing it off, and ends with Sally (voiced by Janeane Garofalo) reading her letter back. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention the first time, but, even after only 6 episodes, I am impressed by the writing (oh, JJ Abrams- can you even make bad television?) and wisdom that is dished out in every episode. Sure, there are cheesy WB moments designed just for the 18 year old crowd, but as someone who loves college students (it's in my job description), I think that this show did some good things in its time.

I have felt moved and contemplative after nearly every ending, particularly by the closing words of Sally (who is an older friend who shares her life wisdom with young Felicity). It is thought provoking, and I look to share some of these thoughts in upcoming entries. I just wanted to take this opportunity to give a little background and share what might be ahead.

My friend Becky (and maybe the only reader of this blog) is blogging and sharing life through the narrative of food and cooking. I am choosing to use mediocre television. Stay tuned.... ooo- insert cheesy unintentional pun here...

1 comment:

Becky said...

ah, Felicity. One has to wonder how good of a mentor Sally really was if she NEVER visited Felicity once... Also, its so funny and dated that Felicity used a cassette recorder thingy. I'm not sure it would make sense to college students now. They would ask, "why doesn't she just text her?" or "why don't they use skype?"

Yet another example of how we are old...