I realize that I am starting to write a lot about things that I have been watching (compared to reading) which bums me out a little, but, though I'm not reading too much, I'm not watching too much either. Last night I managed to watch Boston Legal from last week, which I had taped (yes, I still tape. No DVR for me- I actually have a 2 VCR system going for those big nights). Anyway, all that said, I made the decision last night that I think Boston Legal might be the smartest show on television right now. Don't get me wrong- there is some other good television happening. A lot of it I'm probably not watching, as I leave room in my schedule for Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy (let's be honest- they are not smart television), but I would argue that the writers of, say LOST, know what they're doing (again- JJ Abrams- I love you).
What makes BL so smart (that's Boston Legal, not Becki Laird)? Well, for starters, it's David E Kelly- who has been known for his quality TV. Last week, for instance, the show moved time slots. The entire opening teaser was the staff of CP&S discussing when their staff meeting was- Tuesdays at 10 or Wednesdays at 10. What other show doesn't hide the fact in their writing that they are a show. It's hilarious. The plot last week was very politically centered- debating over MA voting for Obama or Clinton, kind of displaying how ridiculous the candidates have gotten. I just don't know any other show that is willing to touch this stuff. Especially a drama. I mean, this isn't John Stewart, you know?
Long story short- I recommend taking in an episode- or even getting hooked. It's one downfall (if you can call this a downfall), is that it doesn't have that soap-opera-y drama that keeps you sucked in from one week to the next. I often have to make myself make time to watch it, as I'm not addicted to it like I am to the Housewives, but once I do watch it- it is always worth it. It's smart, hilariously funny (I laugh out loud every week, even as I watch by myself), and touching. The relationship stories (particularly the one of Denny and Alan- BFFs) are just so moving.
Smart television. check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment