Thursday, April 16, 2009

Picture Taking

This weekend I traveled to Philly to meet Jack Thomas Wainwright. It was a good time with him, and with his parents, my dear friends. It was nice to spend a chill Saturday with my friends and their new little one. I can't believe that my friends are having babies!! I've had friends with kids for a few years now- but this year it seems like all my closest friends are becoming mommies. It is fun to experience this with them. You may wonder what this has to do with the subject. Well, I'd love to post photos of cute Jack and fam, but my hand-me-down digital camera failed me on Saturday. I think I got 1 photo- but now the thing won't turn on for me to get it.

I've never had my own digital camera. I know- I'm WAY behind the times. I had a really nice advantax camera that I got for my HS Graduation. It died shortly before my college graduation, and so I got a new one. Digital cameras were just coming out then, and I wasn't ready to jump on board. But now, I still have that film camera, I never use it, and I never take pictures. And I love pictures. I realize part of the wonder of the digital camera is not everyone has to take a picture- just one person and then email it out. I am that person constantly emailing my friends to say "hey- can I have a copy of that pic- or those 50 pics from this weekend??" It's annoying.

So I have these very generous friends who have given me their digital camera rejects. I'm on my second one. They break theirs (they have 3 small kids- it's not hard to drop a camera in the midst of all that- say- at the boardwalk at the beach). Their said broken camera now works sporadically- not well enough for someone trying to catch the movements of 3 small children- and so they give them to me. These cameras have been nice to get my feet wet in the digital world- but I think that I am ready for my own!!! Especially after fighting with the one for the whole weekend.

This coming weekend is my sister's bridal shower and bachelorette party- and these are not memories I want to miss. So, I think that I am going to go out tomorrow afternoon and buy a new camera. Maybe it's a little hasty- but I think I'm going to do it.

ADVICE SOLICITATION: If you have any recommendations: I'd LOVE to take them!!! I'm looking to spend around $200. I think I want something small that will fit in my purse. Thanks :)

3 comments:

lindsey said...

Buy a Canon! I love mine! There are very small versions as well - I actually think I am going to upgrade mine before I go to Africa since the lithium battery seems to have decided to give up!

Christine said...

I would suggest the Canon Powershot Digital ELPH. The 10.0 MP versions are about that price.

Beverly said...

I'm glad you got some good advice here. I have a little Canon Powershot, and it served me very well. I upgraded to a SLR, but I love the convenience of the ittle one.

Consumer Reports says that the new Canon is the best for the money. I'll look up the article for you when I get home.