Come with me, on yet another journey into the 1990s. I know, I can’t let go…. Here are some of my favs from this week:
4 Non-Blondes, “What’s Up,” 1993
I think I mentioned that 92-93 was the first year I really started listening to top 40 radio. And this song takes me right to that year. If you can’t place this song- b/c the title is not necessarily helpful, maybe these few lines will ring a bell: “so I wake in the morning and I step outside, and I take a deep breath and I get real high, and I scream from the top of my lungs… what’s going on?.... hey….”
Des’ree, “You Gotta Be,” 1995
This was a mid-nineties classic that had staying power for several years. I think it was, at one time or another, every high school girl’s anthem. You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together…. You gotta be bold… love will save the day!!! Who WASN’T reciting that?!?!
LFO, “Summer Girls,” 1999
Slipping in just at the end of the decade, this summer from 99 was an instant classic/overplay. Some songs remind me of stuff throughout the year, and very few songs remind me specifically of summer. This one does. I worked as a lifeguard at a camp through the summers in college, and didn’t always stay up to date on music. But this is one tune that broke through into the wilderness. Pretty much every time we left site in my coworker Tif’s car, this song was playing. It was the jam of that summer. I mean, who doesn’t like girls who wear Abercrombie and Fitch?
I mentioned earlier this week that this time of year gets me nostalgic- so here are Tif and me, the summer girls of '99. (we were going to Players'- a club in state college that no longer exists. this is on the front steps of the church camp where we worked. That's right.)
2 comments:
This picture takes me back and I totally forgot about that song playing all the time! I as well love Des’ree, "You Gotta Be". Everytime it's on the radio (I listen to Sirius -90's on 9) I can't help but sing along. It's funny how certain songs can instantly take you back to a time in your life. Have a great weekend Becki!
Tiffany
PS- how about our "fierce" faces we're making in that picture!! haha and the pink bandaids!
Post a Comment