This is a big week for me. On Saturday I will bike 50 miles as a fundraiser for MS. I’m doing this with my sister, friend, and brother-in-law. He (Dallas, my B-I-L) did the ride last year with his best friend, who has MS. His friend isn’t able to participate this year, so the 4 of us are doing it together (well, not quite. Dallas is riding 100 mi. the girls are doing 50 together). I’ve raised over $400 so far, and something I’ve found as I’ve worked at this is that everyone seems to have a connected with at least one person with MS. So, I’m glad to do something positive for a disease that affects so many.
I’m not sure that I’m really physically prepared for this. I’ve been exercising a little more than normal (which doesn’t take much), and biking some, but only a few times a month…. It is definitely going to be a challenge, because let’s be honest, I spend at least 11 hours a day just sitting on my butt. The most I’ve ridden to date is 23 miles. Hopefully I can successfully double that all in one day.
The other big thing this week (and part of the reason I decide to do this ride) is that I turn 30 on Sunday. I decided that I wanted to spend my birthday weekend doing something good, not something overly self-indulgent or stupid (we all know a lot of 30th birthdays that land in those categories).
I’ve decided that I’m not sure that I’m ready to turn 30. It’s a big number. I’m not sure I really accomplished enough in my life to be at this milestone already. I don’t own my house, I’m still single, my education and career paths have yet to cross.
I know that it’s happening no matter what. And I’m going to be okay with that. But I’m just putting it out there that I’m a little intimidated by this number.
We’ll see how I feel next Monday. I realize the closer it gets that I might have made a mistake doing this large physical challenge the day before I turn 30. I think that I’m likely to wake up Sunday morning and feel like I’m 60. So, hopefully, by next week, both my body and my spirit will begin to heal, and I’ll have all kinds of new ideas of what to accomplish next.
1 comment:
Yay Becki! You can do it!
Oh. and 30 will be great - I hear it's the new 20 :)
Post a Comment