I'm going to take a brief caveat from my (currently short) series of blogs "things I'm not good at, #___" (there will be more) to do some reflecting on the idea of blogging. I was in the shower this evening, thinking about my blog and how I should probably write something in it again soon, and wondering which of the "things I'm not good at...." I should focus on this evening, when I got to thinking about my blog in general. And then i got to thinking that I'm not all together pleased with it. I mean, what is the point....
I started this blog as kind of a challenge from a friend. To prove to the world that there are things that single, non-parent people can write about. But I'm not sure that there are. I think about the blogs I read (some friends, some strangers) and they are parents or grandparents writing about the kids in their lives, people writing about family members with illness, missionaries, political activists, great writers or preachers. But what do I have going on? The ramblings of a single gal with nothing much more going on in her life than (what she feels is) good television. Is there really much more of me that the world needs to know about? I am not sure.
All this to say, I am not abandoning the blog just yet... but I'm just feeling a little more self centered than I'd like to be. I feel like through this blog that I (and maybe this is just the point of blogging) believe that my life is so important that the world must know. And I don't really believe that.
In the mean time, I'm going to keep thinking about those things that I'm not good at to share with the world.... I know you're waiting....
2 comments:
I'm interesting, married, and pregnant and haven't blogged in weeks, so does that make you feel better? I think you have lots of interesting things to say (that's why I'm your friend!), so keep blogging. But, don't force yourself. Just do it when it feels fun and fulfilling. Otherwise, do whatever the hecks you want! :)
I agree with Becky--you have lots to say and lots going on! Sex and the City was a whole 6 season series about a bunch of non-married (for the most part) childless (again, mostly) women--and America loved it!
Post a Comment