Saturday, January 03, 2009

Things I'm not good at #1: Reading

So, in an effort to not make resolutions, but to constantly be improving upon myself, I think I might start compiling a list of things that I'm not good at (but that I want to improve) (and I know ending that phrase with "at" is improper, but it fits my motif). So, tonight i'm thinking specifically how I'm not good at reading, having just returned from a spontaneous trip to Borders. Some friends were going and I tagged along, hoping to pick up some new cds, but they didn't have any of the ones that I am looking for (as no stores in York county do), and so I was drawn to the sale table. It was buy 1 get 1 half off, and so I was suckered into 4. Two are new that i have wanted to read, and two are books that I have read, and that I loved, but thought if I bought them for myself I could gain some reading momentum anytime I wanted (the theory behind "reading momentum" is that you read a few easy-to-read, fun-filled books, and then once you're in the habit of reading easily and quickly- you can tackle some more challenging (ie: non-fiction) and get through those). I think it's a marvelous theory, and one that I desperately need.

As any blog reader of mine might notice, I like to watch TV. And I try to watch it selectively and with judgment, but I still watch more than I should. I never read. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my magazines, let alone books. I currently have a stack of books on my bed side table of 8 books. 3 are borrowed, 2 were gifts, and 3 I bought and just can't get through. 3 I have started and have book marks in them somewhere in the front half. It's pathetic. I want to be a well read person, but it's just so hard for me.

There are a lot of changes that I'd like to make in my life in 2009 (most I wanted to make in 2008, but we're just going to have to adjust), and reading more is one of them. So, tonight, in an effort to do that... I'm not going to turn on my tv, I will turn on my reading lamp, and see if I can get through a few more pages of the 8 on my stack. Make that 12, because I just bought 4...

We'll see how this goes.

2 comments:

lindsey said...

beck-
i, too, decided i wasn't good at reading, so in a (perhaps) drastic decision - i canceled my television. holy cannoli! tv addict going cold turkey. we'll see how this goes :)

Beverly said...

Good luck. I have the weakness of too much TV, too much reading of blogs, and now getting into Facebook. I realize that will pass somewhat in due time, but I am having fun finding old friends again.

I do manage to read some, but then again, I don't have a job I have to go to.

I have some new photos up of Ella and David and Sabrina on FB and my blog.