Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Mother's Day
I’m perpetually behind on things- watching shows on my dvr, movies that came out two years ago, books on my book piles, reading and writing blogs. So today I was catching up on blogs (hadn’t read any in a few weeks) and really enjoyed all the mother’s day ones. So I thought I’d write about mine (only 2 days later!)
A lot of the bloggers I follow are young parents, and so they have a lot to reflect about on mother’s day. I, however, am not a parent. I currently have no plans to be a parent in the near future (as I’m quite single, I’ll wager that it’s not likely to happen by the next time mother’s day rolls around at least). So, I got to spend this mother’s day (as I’ve spent most others) celebrating the moms in my life.
My recently married sister hosted a gathering for our mom, our grandmother, our aunt and uncle (parents of 3, but the closest of their children is in Dallas, TX), her mother in law, and her mother in law’s parents. She, her husband, and I did all the cooking so the moms didn’t have to bring anything. It was fun. It was the first time that “the kids” took care of the day- not leaving the work to the moms. We had “brunch” (though I still argue that you cannot call it brunch at 2:30pm)
We didn’t do anything to fancy- egg casserole, ham, scones (which my sister made from scratch) and pie. And mimosas. Our new favorite cocktail. But it was nice to just celebrate the moms in our lives. I’m a little embarrassed that it took us until 27 & 29 to serve our moms like this- but we’re slow learners.
I used to think mother’s day was kind of silly. I’m not a fan of these “card company holidays” that make you feel guilty if you don’t participate. However, how many times do we REALLY take the time to celebrate moms? I’m not even a mom and I get how thankless a job it is. I see my friends parenting their young children tirelessly- and it never goes away. I still count on my mom to do much more than me than I really need her to- but it’s just what I’m used to (29 year habits die hard). So, why not take a day to say Thanks to our moms?
I hope that if you’re a mom you were celebrated in a special way on Sunday. And I hope if you’re not a mom you had someone in your life whom you could just love and serve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment