Friday, May 14, 2010

This week’s 90s flashback


I’ve decided that we don’t pay enough attention to the 90s. And as long as the internet brings me good 90s music, I think that I will continue to share a few of the highlights of my week… I realize I should just let them go- but I’m nostalgic for the good old days (would I go back and relive the 90s again? Heck no. but it’s fun to reminisce). A little 90s side note- I apparently dated myself last night out with friends when I referenced bringing a boom box to an event. That’s right.
Meatloaf- I would do anything for love (but I won’t do that) - 1993
Oh my gosh, I loved this song. Why? I have no idea. It was just so darn dramatic. And that video! I loved it. It must have been around 1993 or 1994 is when I got into watching the VH1 top 10 countdown each week on Sunday mornings. We didn’t have cable at my house (a cruel trick my parents played on my when I was nearly 12) but every other weekend we’d spend Saturday nights at my dad’s house- camped out on the sofa bed with a sweet cable television in front of us. Sunday mornings while getting ready for church I’d have the VH1 countdown on. I have NO idea how long this song was on that- but it felt like an eternity. And I was not complaining. I LOVED it. It’s not a short song either- they probably edited it on VH1. I know they did on my station here the other day. I watched the clock- they cut it after 5 minutes but the song was obviously not over. I still might argue that nobody makes a ballad quite like Meatloaf (or plays a man with boobs either).
Savage Garden- I want you - 1997
If you’re not sure what this song is- you might remember it as the “chicky cherry cola song.” It was fast, hot, and ridiculous. And I couldn’t get enough. I had the cd. Hearing this song (and the whole album) immediately takes me back to my senior year of high school- friends, events of the year, my boyfriend (I felt certain that Truly, Madly, Deeply was about our love and may have been one of our first slow dances together. Yes. I remember that.). Oh Savage Garden, where have you been the last 13 years of my life? I had no idea I was missing you!
Elton John - Candle in the Wind – 1997
Not the original Elton John tribute to Marilyn Monroe, but the 1997 version that he remade for Princess Diana. (Goodbye English Rose) Confession: I heard this song the other day and it was LITERALLY the first time that I actually let it play the whole way through. In the height of the fall of 97 I was feeling overexposed to Diana stories, and didn’t like that the song was different, because I had always liked the original. So, whenever it came on the radio, I skipped it. Who really knows why. But now, actually listening to it- I couldn’t just hear it without remembering hearing about her death (we were @ my dad’s cabin in the mountains when we saw it on the news), remembering the funeral (I recorded it to watch later, I think I eventually threw away the tape), or thinking now that I have more of an interest in the royal family how tragic an event it really was. Elton moved me a little bit this week. I’m not going to lie…
What songs from the 90s take you back?

No comments: