I enjoy hospitality. I think I’m pretty good at it. I always score high on hospitality on spiritual gifts assessments (usually just slightly behind Administration and very near Helps. If that’s not a recipe for a recreation major- I don’t know what is). Ever since I’ve been out of college, in fact, even while I was in college, I’ve always liked to host parties and gatherings (our “dorm room extravaganzas” were always a hit). I’m not the world’s greatest or most accomplished cook, but I like to learn and to experiment, and I love a house full of good friends enjoying good food and drink.
These last few weeks have provided me several opportunities for hosting, and they have been a splendid time (at least I had a good time). The first was a few weeks ago when I hosted a few friends to play Friends Scene It. I love the show friends and love to play this game, but you have to specifically invite people who are also fans, or you end up with a crowd of sore losers. (trust me, I know from experience). I believe there were 8 of us and we played 2 games (I won one, I lost one- and though it was a final round loss, it was still a loss- though I think my first one…). It was a fun mix of people, all who at one point or another told me they were a big Friends fan, which made it fun- some old friends, some new friends, and a few of the college students that we’ve worked with this year.
And always, if the star of the party isn’t the game (or the costumes – dress as your favorite character/moment- they were outstanding) – it was the food. I decided to have Central Perk themed treats for the party. So I made muffins (from a box,) homemade cranberry scones, and a fruit trifle (if you’re a friends fan, you know why I made the “English Trifle”). And then, we had vanilla and caramel lattes for all who wanted them (my friend billy has become designated bartender/barista at all my functions, depending on the type of party. I just need one less thing to worry about).
As always, I didn’t take any pictures at the event, here is the food:
the mess of the kitchen....
a trifle (with no beef or sauteed onions!)
Central Perk Scones!



2 comments:
How fun! Wish I lived closer--the scones look awesome!
I'm so impressed!!!
Post a Comment