Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Reading


As I’ve mention before, I’m not great at reading. I mean, I am a good reader; I’m just not a very frequent or dedicated reader. But I do love it. I always look forward to my beach vacation to crank out a few books. Unfortunately though, this year since I started a new job in February, I have no vacation time. So I was at the beach for 2 days. However, I did finish at least 1 book, and thought I’d mention it.

I just finished How Starbucks Saved My Life, by Michael Gates Gill. This had been given to me as a gift for my 28th birthday (I’m 2 months from 30 now), and had been on my reading pile ever since. It’s not that I wasn’t interested; I’m just slow at chipping through my pile. So, I finally got around to it and I really enjoyed it. Brief synopsis: It’s a memoir about a man who in his 50s is laid off from his high power advertising job, and drifts through the next 10 years, when a chance encounter at a Starbucks store lands him a job.
It’s definitely a book that talks a lot about the corporation of Starbucks and how they run, which I really enjoyed, and a good story about learning to work with all kinds of people. I finished it wanting to A. learn more about MGG and his coworkers, B. wanting to move to NYC, and C. work at Starbucks myself (I’ve twice applied for and been hired there for part time jobs, and then it just didn’t work out. I still think that I would LOVE being a Starbucks employee). Anyway, I recommend this if you like coffee, business, or stories of men finding redemption in their lives when they’re in their 60s.
I’ve actually been doing a lot more reading of late now that I take a lunch break, and have read several good books in the last few months. I’m getting to the point that if I have any downtime, I either have a book in my purse, or I’m sad if I don’t have a book in my purse. J If I ever get my life organized, I’ll tell you about them too.
Next on the pile is a new (2009 I think) Nick Hornby book that I’ve heard nothing about, but I bought it at a rummage sale for $.50 and Nick Hornby hasn’t let me down yet…. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: