Wednesday, December 22, 2010

All the Single Ladies

So, awhile ago a friend suggested I write more here about some of my thoughts on being a single lady (now a 30 year old single lady), but it's hard to do it because I don't think i have a good enough writing voice to do it without sounding like a negative nancy. But, I'm going to try it anyway. Here are 5 things that I want to remind those married girlfriends that sometimes make us single ladies (or this single lady) feel a little defeated. Maybe not defeated... but less than whole.

And seriously - I'm glad you're married and have nothing against you... but sometimes this stuff just bums us out a little. No hostility meant...

1. When you complain that you had to pump your own gas because your husband wasn't available to take your car out do it. I didn't know that once you got married you never had to pump gas again!

2. When you're all proud of yourself because you took the trash out for the first time in 5 years. I don't think this is an announcement worthy accomplishment. Some of us take our trash out every week. (though I am thankful to have a roommate that does it probably more tahn 50% of the time)

3. When your husband goes away and you need someone to sleep over because you can't be alone in your house. I know it's an adjustment - but I am ALWAYS alone in my house and I don't recruit someone new to sleep over every night...

4. In that same vein: when you call me and say "do you want to have dinner next Tuesday? My husband has to work late so I won't have anything to do." I don't want to be the "don't have anything to do" friend. I LOVE it when you say "let's have dinner next Tuesday... my husband will be fine home alone" (or even bring him! I like your husbands too!)

5. And if we're having dinner out and you actually DID leave your husband home alone - don't tell me about the dinner you cooked for him so you could still come out. Seriously???


I know that I'm not in the norm as a single 30 year old and so the culture around me is going to operate differently that I do, but that doesn't mean it's not challenging sometimes.

I'm sure there are some things that us single ladies do that bug you married folks.... any thoughts? I'm open to change :)

3 comments:

Becky said...

Good advice. I'm sure I'm guilty of some. If I invited you to spend the night, it would only be to lay on the pullout couch all day Sat and watch made-for-tv-movies. :)

Unknown said...

That's all I'd want to do anyway!!!

Rachel Elek said...

I think this is great! I am married now, but was single for awhile living on my own and I totally agree with the above that you wrote.

Married, dating, or someone who has never really been alone for an extended period of time take a lot of things for granted with their "other."

Things like finding a church, grocery store, etc when you are new to an area is a little intimidating when you are single.

Write on Becki!!!