One way that I'm particularly OCD is with towels. Now, I know some people who are WAY worse than me (I promise), but I am particular about what kind of towel does what. Especially in the kitchen.
This came to fruition a few weeks ago when a friend was over and washed his hands at the kitchen sink and then used a paper towel. Always the environmentalist, I reminded him that I have regular towels so as not to waste paper. He said "I don't understand your towel system. It scares me." Yikes. Didn't know I was so frightening. Then he said "you should blog about this, because it's weird." So I am.
Here is my kitchen - towel system. Is it weird??
On the left is the hand towel. It is made of terry-cloth and that's how you know it's for your hands. It's more absorbent. Always use the terry towel on your hands. On the right we have the dish towel. It's a "tea-towel" material (I don't really know what else that's called). It is only for dishes. (these kind are better for dishes b/c they don't leave lint). Now, why the difference? Because even though you just washed your hands, they still aren't totally germ free, and I don't want someone's sloppy hand mess on my freshly cleaned dishes. They need to be kept separate.
On the left is the hand towel. It is made of terry-cloth and that's how you know it's for your hands. It's more absorbent. Always use the terry towel on your hands. On the right we have the dish towel. It's a "tea-towel" material (I don't really know what else that's called). It is only for dishes. (these kind are better for dishes b/c they don't leave lint). Now, why the difference? Because even though you just washed your hands, they still aren't totally germ free, and I don't want someone's sloppy hand mess on my freshly cleaned dishes. They need to be kept separate.
In this photo you'll note the bonus "guest towel" in the center. They are only for holiday times. You may use it on your hands, but I would prefer that you don't because they're so small and when you use it it gets it all off center. See? I'm crazy.
I've had a lot of roommates over the years- most have adapted to my system, and for that I thank them! (worst tea towel experience - I went to clean some dishes and a roommate had wiped up spilled cake batter w/ the dish towel and hung it back up. it was gross).

4 comments:
Oh the Lairds and their towel system. I remember this tutorial well. Ps. I may or may not have adopted this system.
my parents have the same system...
LOL, how did you ever live with us becky? I don't remember this towel system being discussed... :)
Gretchen - Joe has adopted it as well. You see - it makes sense!
Jess - there are a lot of things about that house that I wouldn't do again - like not using heat!!! I was only 21- didn't have my domestic systems down yet...plus - who can worry about dishtowels when you're dealing with a skunk in the basement!!!!
Post a Comment