Saturday, September 10, 2016

What's Becki Watching - Fall 2016 Edition (part 1)

Welp, here I am, back from the void.  Nothing moves me to break out a blog post quite like the return of fall tv.  I have a few more things in the works here too, we'll see if they come to fruition. 

Because some of you asked (not many, but still), and because I am nerd and I find this fun.... I bring you the brief synopsis of what's premiering, currently airing, what I'm watching, and what I've decided to ignore.
Part 1 is returners.  Part 2 will be new shows.

Shows Coming Back I'm Still Watching (and why):
   *listed by order of air date

1. The Big Bang Theory 
       say what you want about Chuck Lorre & laugh tracks, but this show makes me laugh, the characters are all uniquely hilarious, and I like Star Trek and science jokes.


2.  Brooklyn Nine-Nine 
Image result for brooklyn nine nine        I was admittedly skeptical about this when it first aired (I always found Andy Samberg funny yet fairly one-dimensional on SNL), but after it won the Golden Globe and then my sage friend Tim told me to watch it, I gave it a try.  It's hilarious.  I re-watched the whole thing again this past spring (and another singular episode 2 nights ago when I just needed a laugh).  It was funny from the start, but as these actors have reached their groove of their characters I think it's even funnier. (I also hate when an actor is pregnant & a show tries to hide it, but they actually pulled it off fairly well this year.  Kudos there).  This is one that I'm most excited about it's return.

3. New Girl
        It's had its ups and downs but I'm still watching.  I'm certainly part Jess (awkward?  bell choir? in love with the totally dysfunctional guy?), and I cannot get enough Jake and Schmidt.  


4. Modern Family
       This is one I'm less excited about than I used to be, and I often let it pile up on my dvr, but then once I start watching again I inevitably am LOLing alone in my house like a crazy person. 


Image result for impastor season 2
5.  Impastor
        A TV Land show starting Michael Rosenbaum (Lex from Smallville) that you probably aren't watching.  The premise is ridiculous, but the show is HILARIOUS.  Give it a try, you won't regret it.


6.  Jane the Virgin
       This is new to me this year - watched S 1&2 over the summer after reading much praise and receiving many recommendations.  I was skeptical for a full 2 years, but now I'm hooked.  WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?!?!?!  SO MUCH IS UP IN THE AIR!!!!  AHHHHH

7.  Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
       Another new (to me).  Meant to watch last year but waited too long and couldn't get the first few eps.  PTL for netflix.  THIS SHOW IS THE BEST.  It is smart, funny, sarcastic, AND A MUSICAL!  I bought the soundtrack, I listen to it in my car, I CANNOT GET ENOUGH.  Here is a sample song from the first ep.  Seriously - watch it.


8.  Life in Pieces
      Favorite new show from last year.  4 short scenes each ep connecting a family.  I was doubtful that this gimmick would work, but because they don't need filler to stretch out a storyline it's just punchline after punchline. All the actors are great, and it's just 30 minutes of delightful silliness (with some heart thrown in there too).  

9.  Mom
     This isn't my favorite, but Allison Janney is a riot and I love her in this.  I honestly enjoy this more when it's focused more on the serious issues of addiction than when it's just trying to be funny.  But eh, I'll keep watching for now.

10.  The Mindy Project (Hulu) 
Image result for mindy project your face
     If I had to use television characters to explain who I am,  I's say (mostly) Liz Lemon and small parts Jessica Day (New Girl) and Mindy Lahiri.  She's such a ridiculous hot mess, but I still claim her as my own.  Add in some EXCELLENT supporting characters - they never fail to make me laugh.  They say all the things we're all saying in our heads already. 


What did I miss?  What should I quit?   There are also some things coming back after the new year or that already aired this summer that I have omitted here.  Ask me about them later :)

PS:  It's fascinating to me that all of these shows are more or less comedies, and the only hour-long ones are on the CW.  I've lost all of my serious/heavy shows.  What's that about?  Are there any on right now I should be watching?  (at least there's always streaming for that....)  

No comments: