Tuesday, October 07, 2008

TV Update

As I've mentioned before, I like to watch TV. Now, I used to be the kind of person that would just plop down and watch whatever I could find. I'm trying to be better about that. I think that it's important for us to be intentional with our time- all the time. For example, the other night I came home and was doing some stuff in my room. It was quiet. I turned on the tv and was just flipping around (which I have to do literally on the tv b/c the channel up/down button doesn't work on my remote). But then I thought to myself- this is stupid- there isn't anything I want to watch, and I don't need the TV on just for the sake of having it on. So I turned it off. But- that doesn't mean I don't watch TV- I'm just trying not to watch random TV. But I do have my shows. And- now I have DVR- which makes my shows even more enjoyable.
I love having my shows- but I hate having to revolve my life around them. There's nothing that says "i'm a big loser" more than being out with friends for something social and saying "I gotta go- there's a TV show coming on..." So, I just tell my DVR to record the whole series, and there it is- ready for me at any moment. It's grand!!
I've also found- the more that I've been enjoying TV shows- the less that I'm enjoying movies. Sure- movies have their time and place for me- but there are just a few things about television that I've been enjoying even more. For example- most of the shows I watch are an hour- which is only 40 minutes of actual show time- which means they're over more quickly than a movie. and- movies seem to always leave me wanting more. I love the long story arcs that TV can do. Now, granted some of these story arcs get drug out more than they need to (can we say Derek and Meredith), but some of them (like "the pattern" on fringe) just leave you ready for the next installment. I love it.
But sometimes it is time to say goodbye. This year marks the final season for Boston Legal. Which is a great show. That David E Kelly- he writes some funny stuff... But I think that I am ready for it. First of all- to have one less show on my dvr plate- but also, the show has served us well during its tenure- and it's best to go out while you're still doing good stuff- rather than to run slowly into the ground. I look forward to the next 10 episodes to see what happens to ol' Denny Crane, Alan Shore, and co.

No comments: