As Fox says, "there's only one October," and they are right. I've always been a baseball fan. I wasn't exposed to much sports watching as a child (growing up in a house with just a mom and a sister, our tv time was spent with Nickelodeon, Anne of green gables, and musicals). But, when I was with my dad, or my uncle, we'd sometimes watch baseball. Now, I live in Orioles territory, and I can say that in my high school days I was a pretty well-informed O's fan. I watched as many games as I could, and even in college I would print the season schedule up each March, watch opening day diligently, and go to as many games as I could (which translated into about 1 a year- but still- it was a tradition!).
But when I moved to State College just after college, it became harder to keep up. I no longer lived in a 60 mi radius of Baltimore, and was relegated to watching mostly Pittsburgh sports. I never got into the Pirates, but in my time in SC I became a fan of another time- the Boston Red Sox. Now- I realize that it seems a stretch to go from O's to Sox- but let's be honest- the O's were becoming hard to follow. Each year seemed to bring a new manager and an entirely new roster- and considering I'd never see a game on TV- it became a challenge. But the Sox have a nation-wide fan base and were always on TV. Plus, I was dating a long time Sox fan- and so a new one was born.
I watched most of the aired games during the 2004 season and fell in love with those boys and their story. What a year to be a fan!! I was hooked! And have remained invested in them ever since.
I stayed up late last night to watch the game. More out of pity than anything else. This wasn't the team from 2004- there was no way they could stage a comeback. But last night's game was thrilling! Now- I respect Tampa Bay and if they make it, I can appreciate the incredible run that the team has gone on... but I had always felt that the one thing I could count on in baseball was that "at least the O's weren't in last place- b/c TB was..." So it's hard for me to cheer them to the end.
I barely watched any baseball this whole year- and I haven't made it to a game in 2 years now- but there's just something about October....
2 comments:
I heard about it on the radio this morning and it sounded impressive. I do think you should be rooting for the Phillies, since they are the 2nd closest city to you, after Baltimore. It seems only appropriate.
I have to disagree with Bec--you should definitely remain a Sox fan...although it didn't work out so well this year. But that's usually what being a Sox fan is about--saying "there's always next year"!
Post a Comment